Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bunny Sitters

Bunny sitters are hard to find. From reading blogs and online groups, it seems that lack of bunnysitters is a major deterrent for people who’d otherwise consider house rabbits for their companions as well as a reason some give up their bunnies.
I’m one of the lucky ones. I have two exceptional ‘critter sitters’, who take good care of both the bunny and the hound when I am away. However, neither started out as accomplished sitters. I took a lot of time educating each on the needs of both of these delicate creatures. Both have spent a lot of time on the House Rabbit Society education pages and each time I am away I leave a folder with detailed instructions and printouts of important information articles, especially those that educate people about noticing the signs that could mean your bunny is sick. I also leave a basket filled with the things bunny will need both basket and items are labeled for reinforcement—eg brush (every evening) etc.
Not only is the bunny vet contact information available, including driving directions, but also information about the 24-hour emergency facility and instructions to tell them to contact the bun’s regular bunny vet. I also leave the information packet from Bond Animal Hospital where we see Dr. Laurie Hess.

If your primary bunny facility does not have a similar package with instructions for feeding, behavior, and what to do in an emergency, etc., I’d encourage you to ask them to put one together.

I’ve also noted on some of the chat sites that people are sending out SOS for a bunny sitter days before they need one. I suggest you start early, find at least 2 people who are good candidates and begin their education 8-10 weeks in advance. Send them to web sites, download and print important information and make sure they are familiar with the unique needs or your bun. I recently read a plea that said the bun had free roaming of the apartment including bedroom- would that be a problem? In the same way human sitters need time to be trained so do the buns. For example, when I am away I know neither sitter is going to make the usual breakfast time. So for at least a week or longer I slowly reschedule feeding time so the bun is not only used to later breakfast, but gets used to a bit of unpredictability yet remains confident food is coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your advice is important, especially planning in advance.